Copy Editor - Fact Checker
Job Title: Copy Editor - Fact Checker
IBT Media, the parent company of International Business Times, a global online news publication, is looking for a News Copy Editor to join our growing team. The successful candidate is diligent, adaptive, and flexible.
As a copy editor, you will be responsible for reviewing, editing and fact-checking breaking reports, commentary and analysis. The position requires working within a fast-paced, collaborative environment, as well as having strong news judgment.
The position requires enforcing copy and style guidelines. The right candidate will have a strong understanding of grammar, spelling, usage and style. On occasion, you will be called upon to write short reports.
This is a great opportunity for a detail-oriented and highly organized job seeker. Previous news editing experience is preferred but we are willing to take on promising entry-level candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Correcting and proofreading grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors
- Adhering to journalistic ethics
- Double-checking names, places and organizations for correct spelling
- Fact-checking dates, statistics and quotes
- Enhancing articles with supplemental information
- Giving feedback and suggestions to reporters
- Updating the front page of the website
- Writing and contributing to headlines
- Assigning articles to reporters
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent understanding of AP style
- Ability to write smart SEO headlines and understanding of SEO best practices
- Knowledge of Google and other search engines
- Basic knowledge of business, news, politics, sports and entertainment
- Results-oriented and quick thinker
- Basic knowledge of social media
- Based in the New York area but we are willing to take on candidates who work remotely
- College degree in journalism, English, or a related field
IBT Media is a fast growing global digital news organization, delivering news and insight to over 20 million monthly readers across the world. With innovations across the newsroom and the platform, we are engaging a new generation of readers with content that speaks to their interests, analysis that serve their businesses, and insight to make sense of a globally connected world.